Friday, May 2, 2008

Connections between the novel "Candy" and the poem "An Addict I'm Not..."

Poem
An Addict I'm Not...
© Randi Gray
*An Addict I'm Not... so he pushes me away hoping I won't see it, and lead him astray
*An Addict I'm Not... but I must still live the life dealing and coping praying one day he'll stop *An Addict I'm Not... maybe I feel it more knowing any moment, he could walk out that door *An Addict I'm Not... so I live all alone sure he's here beside me, but it's not him that's home
*An Addict I'm Not... so I deal with his lies the deceit and the pain and all the tear free cries
*An Addict I'm Not... thinking I could help one day my love will be enough, but it won't I can tell *An Addict I'm Not... I see the pain in his heart and the fear that grips his soul as he grabs for his pipe, and smokes one more bowl
*An Addict I'm Not... if only he could just see what I see in him and know he could someday be *An Addict I'm Not... so I watch from afar as he destroys himself a little more each day- Dear God please help him each night I'll continue to pray!
*Because An Addict I'm Not, but I must watch him be

Novel "Candy"
"An Addict I'm Not... so I live all alone sure he's here beside me, but it's not him that's home". I made a connection to the novel "Candy" while reading this poem. This quote describes how Joe feels when Candy and him are at the zoo. Candy and Joe were sitting and talking, when Candy had to go to the restroom. When she came out of the restroom she was a different person. Joe was standing there with her, but really he was all alone.
The lines, "An Addict I'm Not... thinking I could help one day my love will be enough, but it won't I can tell" demonstrates the similarity between the novel and the poem. Joe takes Candy to the cottage his dad bought when Joe and Gina were little kids. Joe wanted Candy to stop taking drugs, become a normal person and have a great life. By the end of the novel Joe knows his love wasn't enought to help Candy, becuase she could't stop, she was addicted.

No comments: