Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Anxiety

Last night, what an experience, with all the excitement in the room. The night went the way we planned it; the food smelled and tasted great, awards went well and the sounds and sights from the power point were the best thing of all. The food we had last night tasted so great that I can still feel the melted cheese on the top of the lasagna and all the emotion in the room made the hair on my arms stand up. When the athlete's name was called to get an award, the anxiety going through them couldn't have felt any better. The heart was pumping so fast that you want to slow it down, but the real fact is that you can't get your heart to quit the fast rhythmic beating. Flashbacks from the last four years flooded through my mind like a movie. It seemed so long ago that we all started grade 9, now all of a sudden we are in grade 12 and graduating. The peak of the entire evening came when my name was called for the Senior Athlete Above & Beyond Award. I didn't expect to be called up, so when I was in the drama room waiting for Mr. Killick to get my picture taken for the Officials Award and I heard my name, the air escaped from my lungs. My thoughts were racing as I made my way to the stage. The applause from the audience was thunderous in my ears, my legs felt shaky under me and I was at a loss for words. As the night ended the emotion in me came so quickly that tears sprang to my eyes and I realized that it was one of the greatest moments in high school. This memory will be saved in my mind forever.

No comments: